That dividing time is upon us again… Valentine’s day. For the most part I’m not a big fan of the holiday (which I’ve explained at length during my past 5 years of blogging – particularly in one post a few years ago when my blog went by a different name), but lately I’ve been leaning towards embracing the ideals of Lesley Knope and celebrating Galentine’s Day. So I figure whether someone else is giving you gifts, or you’re buying for yourself, either way this time of year is a good excuse to invest in some new jewellery. One of my all-time favourites is Petite Grand – Tanja makes pieces that are all delicate, luxurious, and easy to wear everyday. I love them*.
On another note, the images above are a few stills that I shot while indulging in my newest love – shooting short fashion films. I can’t wait to show the full video later this week – it’s been a long time coming.
*Anyone who has been following this blog or my Instagram for a while will know this. I talk about Petite Grand A LOT.
1. Wrangler Jumpsuit from General Pants Co. | Abe & Sara Vintage Sunglasses | Vans Sneakers from General Pants Co. (these ones are clearly well loved) | Fuji Instax Camera from Urban Outfitters | Bondi Sands Gradual Tan Moisturiser with SPF15
2. Country Road Shirt (on sale!) | Stussy Bikini from General Pants Co. | One Teaspoon Shorts from General Pants Co. | Glassons Slides (I recommend you go up a size!)| Witchery Visor (similar here) | Sunday Somewhere Sunglases | Asos Rings and Earrings | Mecca Face Sunscreen | Malin & Goetz Lip Balm | Santa Vittoria Water
So, the long weekend is upon us and it’s once again time to celebrate our sunburnt country*. And when I say sunburnt, I mean the red soil, not your skin!! Don’t bake yourself this Australia Day! Always use sunscreen (there are a couple of options above, but my all-time favourite if you’re in direct sunlight all day is Le Tan Coconut 50+ sunscreen – it is the BEST), wear a hat, seek out shade, and wear clothing that covers your shoulders if you can stand the heat! Something lightweight like the pictured Country Road shirt is a great option.
If you’re not sure what to wear, I hope these little flat lays provide some inspiration – either outfit will work at the beach, at a BBQ, by the pool, on a boat… All your potential Australia Day parties are covered! Have fun and don’t be too silly!
*I implore you though, DO NOT get so messy that you become a complete A-hole. Australia Day is, in fact, not just about having copious amounts of beer and listening to Triple J’s Hottest 100. People seem to be forgetting the history of the day (the controversy surrounding that can spark many an intelligent debate) and I am becoming increasingly disappointed in our nation year after year watching the shenanigans of the numerous buffoons the day seems to churn out. I’m not saying I’ve never embarrassed myself on Australia Day, but it feels like these days the behaviour of the general public is getting worse. So lets keep it civilised this year, shall we? Great!
All images via tumblr.com
I’ve never really believed in New Year’s Resolutions – my theory is if you want to change something why wait for a new year? For 2015 though, the new year just happens to coincide with the end of my last chapter, which makes it the perfect time to set new goals! So..
1. Get fit (and lose weight): Last year was an incredibly sedentary year for me, filled to the big-fat-brim with comfort foods while I studied (and lazed around on the couch drinking wine on dates with who turned out to be all kinds of bad for me*). So this year I hope to run the City2Surf, and lose a certain number of kilos that I’m just going to keep to myself… I started by cleaning out all the crap that was in my fridge – it was pretty far gone – and now it’s only got the good stuff in it. And everything is in date now, haha. I’ve also started the Couch to 5km interval training program, and my amazing PT pal Tori Trueman is guiding me with extra training and motivation!
2. Post more often, including more of my personal style: I go through waves of wanting to put outfits on here and not wanting to; much of which comes down to how I’m feeling about my body. I know, I know, get over it, right? But I figure, to keep myself accountable for goal 1, I will not only keep track of my progress on social media but I’ll also back it up with photographs – which will also show off some awesome clothing.
3. Be able to call myself a full-time photographer: Many people will already be aware of the fact that I have had a LOT of different jobs, and I’m currently working across 3 separate fields. By this time next year though I plan on gaining my entire income from photography work. Yay! So posting more often on this blog, as per goal #2, will encourage me to continue working constantly toward that goal. In the past I have made the mistake of taking lengthy breaks between shoots and then wondering why my momentum was stalling and why I wasn’t getting more paid work (ah, the naivety of total and complete denial). I’m admitting here and now that I know that I need to work much harder than ever before to attain this last goal, so now there are no excuses and no hiding away pretending that I don’t know any better!
So there you have it. Twenty-fifteen: HERE WE GO!
Would love to hear what others have planned for this year too!
*Not all bad though – there were certainly times when I could not have gone without him.
1. Penny Sage Jumpsuit | Mode Collective heels (worn throughout) | 2. Penny Sage Cami | Natalie Marie Jewellery Fine Bangle | 3. Penny Sage Top | Anna Quan Pants | 4. Lucy McIntosh Bralette | Oskar The Label Shorts
WE ARE GOLDEN
Photographer: Rachel Yablsey
Styling: Rachel Yabsley
Model: Caitlin @ AVA Models
Hair & Make Up: Beatrix Watanabe
‘Tis the season…. To decorate ones hair with shimmering metallics! With New Years looming overhead and 2014 drawing to a close, I find myself wanting to add a little sparkle to everything. This is a little shoot I did about a month or so ago – hope you like it! I had so much fun on this shoot. It had been such a long day shooting for 12 hours and this was the last of the day… I was running on pure adrenalin! Can’t wait to be doing more and more of this for years to come.
New Years Eve calls for something a little bit fancier than usual, and the easiest way to update your usual style is with jewellery. Costume jewellery can be perfect for an occasion like New Years. Urban Outfitters has a great selection of really affordable pieces. Personally, I’m also obsessed with the Petite Grand Palm Cuffs – they’re so perfect and just different enough to stand out without being overstated.
As per usual I’ve left everything until the last minute before Christmas. To be fair, I only finished my photography course yesterday and have been super busy! If anyone out there is like me and you need some ideas here are some beautiful items that make for perfect gifts…
1. Fuji Instamax available at Urban Outfitters
2. Witchery Visor (in store)
3. How to be Parisian – Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline De Maigret, Sophie Mas
4. Maison Balzac La Creme De La Creme hand and body cream
5. Lumira No 352 Candle
6. Lumira Paradisium hand cream
7. Chanel Illusion D’Ombre Longwear Eyeshadow (in store)
8. Initial Bar Necklace
9. An Organised Life Limited Edition Travel Journal
Images by me.
1. Romance Was Born exhibition at MBFWA 2014; 2. DJ Fingertips
I can’t believe it’s been two years… And may I just say that it’s definitely been quite a ride. After two years, on a personal level I finally feel like I’ve arrived. I may not have posted on this blog as much this year compared with last year, but boy oh boy am I proud of how far I have come this year. Whilst completing the photography course I have been doing, I have simultaneously been going through a rigorous journey of self discovery (read: existential crisis). My apologies for being so flighty, only posting sporadically this year!!
But it will all be for the better, because the things I have been working on lately for school are so very exciting. I’m loving shooting again, and I actually have some faith that I might not suck at it… I have always been my own worst critic, and a defeated perfectionist – a lot of the time I am so beaten down by the fact that I don’t feel that I will be able to achieve perfection that I give up before I even start something. But I have definitely come leaps and bounds towards overcoming that silliness only in the last few weeks!!
Part of the reason I have been able to develop some confidence in my work is due to the amazing, brilliant, talented, kind, heartwarming, supportive people I have had the good fortune of meeting this year. Without having those people to challenge me and then pick me up when those challenges were perhaps piled slightly too high and I fell hard from very great heights, I would not be where I am now: more skilled, more passionate, more self-assured, and more determined than ever before. And for all those who read this silly little page where I inexplicably pour my heart out, you are the reason people like me are able to do what we love. Because you believe even when I do not. Thank you all for the splendour that is you, and for allowing me to see my own reflected glory (hehe) through your smiles!!!