Summer is on it’s way, which has me thinking about that messy surf hair look. So many of my friends have beautiful wavy locks and the undone look basically rolls out of bed with them. My hair is dead straight and pretty hard to style any other way…. I know, I know, I’m very lucky – my hair is easy to manage and I don’t have to colour it etc. But straight hair every day gets quite boring after a while. Sometimes you want to change it up. So I’ve been trying to figure out a way to get that messy wavy volume. And I think I found it….
- ghd Sapphire Jewel Collection Straightener
- Heat Protection Spray
- Moroccan Oil
- Hair spray
1. Wash and dry hair as normal. Brush thoroughly.
2. Spray hair with heat protection spray. Safety first!
3. Take a section of hair and twist tightly from root to end. When twisted hair section should be approximately 1cm thick, though you can change the size depending on the desired wave (Note that the larger the section, the more difficult it is to press. Twist probably shouldn’t exceed 2cm thick).
4. Use the preheated ghd to press along the twist from top to bottom. DO NOT slide along the twist. I hold each press for roughly 4-5 seconds. Time will vary depending on the thickness of your hair and twist – my hair is quite thick and also stubborn so needs a little longer.
5. Continue steps 3&4 around your whole head. I only do the top layer so I don’t end up with too much volume, but if your hair is more fine, extra layers of twists might be necessary.
6. Brush out twists with fingers and smooth frizz with a tiny touch of Moroccan Oil (or any other smoothing serum). Spray to hold.
Voila! Beach hair for the girl with stubborn straight locks. I was pretty impressed after the first time I did this that the style stayed in overnight. WIN! Now to see if I can get my hair to accept any other hair styles as successfully…